Sunday, September 7, 2008

Just call me Martha Stewart!

Yesterday my friends and I decided to have a total girls day! My friend from Salt Lake came up to see Michelle and I and to just hang out! Well a few days earlier I had see a girl make a really cute Magnetic board, and I decided I wanted to make one! I told my friends about it to see if they wanted to try it! They said yes so we started out on our adventure to make us a magnetic board!

Here is the finished product, but trust me it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be! We went to Michael's to gather all the things we needed. I assumed you could get everything we needed there, but that wasn't so! We got the frame, the paper, the modge podge, glue, magnets for our homemade magnets, and ribbon. We asked if they had a metal slab for the frame but they said not that big, so to try Lowes or Home Depot. We were so excited to get started on our project that we hurried to the other stores to buy the metal! But with our luck, or I think it's just mine, because I swear nothing comes easy in my life they didn't seem to have the right size of metal and they wouldn't cut it for us. So we each left very disappointed! Then I had a great idea that we could by a cookie sheet so we ran to Wal-mart to get one and what do you know, Wal-mart didn't have the right size cookie sheet either! So we left Wal-mart and decided to return the frame and get a smaller one. So back to Michaels we went ( a whole 2 hours later!). By this point we each are exhausted and didn't really even want to make it anymore, because we just figure it's not going to turn out! Well then I had another excellent idea! I asked to clerk if they had magnetic paint because I swore I had seen it used in like trading spaces or something. The clerk and my friends looked at me like I was crazy. So we were on our way to return everything when the clerk came back and said they really did have magnetic paint! WOOT WOOT! The project was saved! We bought the paint and were off to modge podge! My friends weren't so sure about the magnetic paint, they didn't think it was going to work! But you always have to trust Mary, I know what I am talking about! It really worked!

Michelle had never heard of modge podge before and she was so amazed by it. My friend Holly definately had the quote of the day! She isn't LDS and she said to Michelle, " How can you be Mormon and not know what Modge Podge is?" It was pretty funny and I kind of had to agree with her, but then Mike, Michelle's husband didn't know what it was either! Ha ha! Well after lots of laughs, sweat, a big mess, and a break for ice cream we finished just after an 8 hour day!
But you have to admit they turned out pretty darn cute after all the trouble we went through! I was very impressed with all of us! They are so cute I want to make another! If any of you have seen my sister Tara's blog you know that she is Crafty Nancy, so I just had to prove myself! I think I managed!
After a long exhausting day, it was great to hang out with two good friends! We had a blast and it was so nice to see Holly! Thanks for a fun, entertaining, great day girls!

4 comments:

Spendlove said...

Mary I'm really impressed by your Magnet boards, now both my daughters are crafty. Love you

Tara L. said...

They are so cute Mary. I want to make one. How fun. I wish I as there to have girls craft night out. I love you, Crafty Nancy.

Pallas said...

So cute Mary!!!! I love it! I sure miss you!

Mike and Michelle said...

I am SO proud of us, and thank you again for enriching my life and introducing me to MODGE PODGE! hehe